The Victorian Deaf & Dumb Institution, St. Kilda Road, Melbourne.[On verso:] 1885. The Twenty-Third Annual Report of the Committee of the Victorian Deaf and Dumb Institution. Presented at the Annual Meeting in the Institution, 24th July, 1885. Together with the List of Subscribers, &c., For the Year ending 30th June, 1886, and Abstracts of Treasurer's Accounts.
[On verso:] Melbourne: Kemp & Boyce, Printers, 31 Little Collins Street East. 1885.
Engraving and etching. 114 x 172mm. 4½ x 6¾".
The Victorian College for the Deaf was opened in 1860 and is Victoria's oldest deaf school. It was opening by the Deaf Englishman, Frederick J Rose, and was relocated to the building seen here on St Kilda Road in 1866, which was built by William Ireland. The deaf sign language used and taught by Frederick J Rose was primarily that of a London dialect of British Sign Language, which heavily influenced the development o Australian's own sign language, Auslan, and by 1891, the so-called "combined method" (manual and oral) was introduced. In 1913, the State Government took over complete responsibility of the education programs of the Victorian Deaf and Dumb Institution.
[Ref: 21487] £70.00