West India Docks.Plate 92.
London Pub. Jany. 1. 1810, at R. Ackermannís Repository of Arts 101 Strand.
Hand coloured aquatint. Plate 235 x 280mm. 9ľ x 11". Slight staining.
A view of the newly-built West India Docks on the Isle of Dogs in London. Outraged at losses due to theft and delay at London's riverside wharves, Robert Milligan (c. 1746 - 1809) headed a group of powerful businessmen, including the chairman of the West India Merchants of London, George Hibbert, who promoted the creation of a wet dock circled by a high wall. The Docks were constructed in two phases. The two northern-most docks were constructed between 1800 and 1802 (officially opened on 27 August 1802) for the West India Dock Company to a design by leading civil engineer William Jessop (John Rennie was a consultant), and were the first commercial wet docks in London. Plate to Volume III of Rudolph Ackermann's 'Microcosm of London', 3 vols., 1808-10. Numbered 'Plate 92.' upper right. On Whatman paper watermarked 1808.
Abbey, Scenery: 212, 92.
[Ref: 21310] £190.00