The Gun-Barrel Proof-House of the Town of Birmingham. Established by Act of Parliament for Public security, A.D. 1813.
Engraving. Image 170 x 285mm. 6¾ x 11¼".
The Birmingham Gun Barrel Proof House was established in 1813 by an act of Parliament at the request, and expense, of the then prosperous Birmingham Gun Trade. Its remit was to provide a testing and certification service for firearms; such testing prior to sale was made mandatory under the Gun Barrel Proof Act of 1868. The Jacobean-style building was designed by John Horton.
[Ref: 21118] £120.00