The Midland Institute.
Lithograph, rare. Image 228 x 362mm. 9 x 14¼". Laid on album page.
The Birmingham and Midland Institute, which was founded in 1854 by Act of Parliament for the Diffusion and Advancement of Science, Literature and Art amongst all Classes of Persons resident in Birmingham and the Midland Counties. Edward Middleton Barry was commissioned as the architect; his other projects included the 1857 reconstruction of the theatre at Covent Garden, the Star and Garter Hotel in Richmond, and his supervision of his father's work for parts of the interior of the Palace of Westminster. The Birmingham and Midland Institute was demolished in 1965 as part of the redevelopment of the city centre.
[Ref: 21114] £160.00