The House of William Hutton Esq. Saltley.The House of W. Hutton, Esq. On the night of Friday 15th July 1791, the House Mr. Hutton, situated n High-Street, Birmingham, which had once or twice been assaulted in the day time, was entered by the Rioters, and completely stripped of its furniture: his large stock of paper, his Son’s very valuable library, and all his furniture and wearing apparel, were destroyed or carried away... Il a rendu à cette ville les services les plus essentiels, qui l’en a recompensé en le diffamant cruellement dans les caricatures les plus scandaleuses exposées en vente dans un des quartiers les plus frequentés de la Ville.
[London. Published, 1 May 1792, by J.Johnson, St. Paul's Church Yard.]
Aquatint with descriptive text in English and French. Sheet 406 x 260mm. 16 x 10¼". Laid on album page, foxing.
William Hutton (1723-1815) was a poet and the first significant historian of Birmingham. He was a Unitarian nonconfromist and both his houses were destroyed during the riots on 15th July 1791. The Priestley Riots, the Birmingham Riots of 1791, targeted religious Dissenters, most notably the politically and theologically controversial Joseph Priestley. From "Views of the Ruins of the Principal Houses destroyed during the Riots at Birmingham. 1791". On the 14th of July, 1791, a party having met at an hotel to celebrate the anniversary of the French revolution, collected together as a mob, and proceeded for several days their devastations, setting fire to several meeting-houses and private mansions, but on the arrival of the military from Oxford and Hounslow, order was restored: at the ensuing assizes four of the ring-leaders were convicted, two of whom suffered the penalty of the law. Shortly after this occurrence barracks were erected on the Vauxhall-road, near the town, consisting of a range of handsome buildings, enclosing a spacious area for the exercise of cavalry, and a smaller for parades, a riding-school, a magazine, and an hospital.
[Ref: 21109] £140.00