Plan, Section and Elevations of Fleet Market.
Published April the 25th 1737 by George Dance pursuant to a late Act of Parliament.
Rare engraved architect's plan, watermarked laid paper, sheet 400 x 620mm. 15¾ x 24½". Centrefold as normal. Trimmed to plate, new margin added. A little soiled and stained.
Key below title; plan includes a scale. The Fleet Market was constructed above the course of the enclosed Fleet Ditch in the City of London. The architect was George Dance the Elder (1695 – 1768). Work began in 1734 to arch over the River Fleet, as it had become an open sewer; and to remove the considerable expense of clearing the river of rubbish and filth. The course of the river was covered between Holborn Bridge and Fleet Bridge. The market, consisting of two rows of open one–storey shops linked by a covered walkway, opened on 30 September 1737. The market replaced the Old Stocks Market that itself had been cleared for the construction of the Mansion House. By 1829, the market was rundown and considered an obstacle to the increasing volume of traffic; and was cleared for the construction of Farringdon Road. Farringdon Market [New Fleet Market] was constructed to replace it, but was never successful.
Guildhall Library Record: 18996.
[Ref: 20958] £480.00