The Plate representing the Opening of the St. Katharine Docks, on Saturday the 25th., of October, 1828. Is Most Respectfully Dedicated to the Board of Directors by their Obliged Humble Servant, W.J. Huggins.
London Published Jany. 1st. 1829 by W.J. Huggins Marine Painter 105 Leadenhall Street.
Fine hand-coloured aquatint. 392 x 551mm. 13 x 21¾". Trimmed; repaired tear in title area and upper left-hand corner.
The 'Elizabeth' entering the St Katharine Docks on the opening day. The complex was made-up of two connected basins, the east dock and the west dock. Two steam engines designed by James Watt pumped water to maintain the water level in the docks. The docks had over a million square feet of storage area to house items such as tea, rubber, wool, marble, ivory, tallow and turtle shell. Despite this, the docks were never a great financial success and were finally closed in 1968, having long run at a loss. They were sold by the Port of London Authority to the Greater London Council. A very decorative print.
[Ref: 20708] £780.00