Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb, in the Greenwich Road.
Coloured engraving. 295 x 440mm, 11½ x 17¼".
The Asylum for the Support and Education of the Deaf and Dumb Children of the Poor was established in 1792 by Reverend John Townsend (1757-1826) of the Jamaica Row Congregation Church in Bermondsey, London. With the patronage of the Duke of Gloucester, the Asylum moved to these premises closer to the Old Kent Road, Southwark, in 1810, becoming an important national charity. Its model of patronage and governing committee did much to transform the operation of British charitable institutions. With contemporary hand colour.
[Ref: 20702] £180.00