[Hanover Square Grand Professional Concert.]
Etching with engraving. Proof before title. 63 x 82mm. 2½ x 3¼". Trimmed.
Ticket. A putto flying holding a large veil with both hands. An oddity. On the east side of Hanover Square, at the south-eastern corner of Hanover Street, the large building now known as the Hanover Club, or Cercle des Etrangers, had for many years, down to the beginning of 1875, borne the name of the Queen's Concert Rooms, more popularly known as the Hanover Square Rooms. Sir John Gallini erected the house and the original concert room in the first half of the reign of George III. Supported by the musical talent of Bach, Abel, and Lord Abingdon, Gallini carried on here, from 1785 to 1793, a series of concerts, for which he contrived to gain the patronage of the Court. George III himself was accustomed frequently to attend these concerts, together with Queen Charlotte.
De Vesme: 1954; [undescribed state]. See Ref: 20534 for different state.
[Ref: 20532] £220.00