Teignmouth Bridge, from the Quay.This Bridge was Designed by and Executed under the direction of Roger Hopkins, Civil Engineer, &c.&c.&c.
Published by E. Croydon, June 5th. 1827, Public Library, Teignmouth.
Hand coloured aquatint, 265 x 360mm. 10½ x 14¼". Slightly soiled; stain to sky.
Scarce locally-published print of the first Shaldon Bridge, which crossed the estuary mouth of the River Teign at Teignmouth, Devon. Figures and cargo on quayside in foreground. The original bridge was owned by the Teignmouth and Shaldon Bridge Company and opened on 8 June 1827. It had 34 wooden arches and was 1,671 feet long, which made it the longest wooden bridge in England when built. It had abutment walls of a considerable length at either end, and a swing bridge at the Teignmouth end to allow sailing ships to pass up the estuary. It cost around £19,000 to build, but the overall expenditure was about £26,000 due to the costs of the necessary Act of Parliament and the purchase of the old ferry-rights. Toll houses were built at each end of the bridge, and the one on the Teignmouth side still survives. After only eleven years, on 27 June 1838 the centre arches of the bridge collapsed, the timbers being eaten through by shipworms. It was rebuilt in wood and reopened in 1840, but it partially collapsed again in 1893. The bridge was completely rebuilt between 1927 and 1931, using steel for the piers and main girders and concrete for most of the deck.
[Ref: 20472] £260.00