His Majesty's Ship the Grafton, Commodore Charles Holmes, Commander, As she sail'd to England with a Machine Constructed instead of her Rudder, which she lost in the last Storm off Louisbourgh.
Engrav'd for the Universal Magazine for J. Hinton at the Kings Arms in Newgate Street London. 1758.
Engraving. 209 x 254mm. 8¼ x 10". Folding and creasing. Small tears into the folds. Surface scratching.
HMS Grafton was built at Portsmouth and launched in 1750. She served during the Seven Years' War under the command of Captain Thomas Cornewall, Captain Richard Kempenfelt and Captain Robert Hughes; she was sold in 1767. In 1756 she was part of Holmes’ squadron off Louisbourg but was struck by a terrible storm during which she lost her mainmast, foretopmast, and rudder. The squadron returned to Great Britain in a very bad condition, but the Grafton was safely steered by means of a jury-rudder devised by Commodore Holmes.
[Ref: 20314] £120.00