The Warwick Vase, as it appears in the Green House erected for it, at Warwick Castle.2 Miles W from Leamington.
Leamington, Published by C. Elston, 12, Lower Union Parade. M&N Hanhart, Lith Printers. [n.d. c.1845.]
Lithograph on india. 258 x 318mm. 10 x 12½".
A view of a large antique vase, standing on an inscribed pedestal among trees planted in pots and in the ground, with figures of a man and woman standing at its side to the left, and a man on crutches pointing at the vase. The Warwick Vase is an ancient Roman marble vase that was discovered at Hadrian's Villa in Tivoli c.1771 by Gavin Hamiton. It was sold to the British envoy at the court of Naples, Sir William Hamilton, who shipped the vase to his elder nephew, George Greville, 2nd Earl of Warwick, who commissioned a special greenhouse for it to preserve it from the British Climate.
[Ref: 20061] £95.00