This North View of Highbury & Cannonbury PlacesIs most respectfully Inscribed to the Ladies & Gentlemen Inhabitants by their most obedient Servant R. Dodd. [&] A West View of Highbury Place Most respectfully Inscribed to the Ladies & Gentlemen Subscribers, to this Plate & Its Companion, by their obed.t. Servt.
London Pub.d Jan.y 31 1787 by R. Pollard, Spa Fields & F. Jukes, Howland Street.
Pair of aquatints. 430 x 550mm (17 x 21½"). Some restoration.
The new terrace of townhouses built around Highbury Fields. John Dawes had bought the land and he began the residential development of Highbury by leasing out the land for 39 houses on Highbury Place between 1774-9. Designed and built by John Spiller, a speculative builder of Southwark, Highbury Place was completed in 1777. The North View of Highbury has a row of town houses centre right and distant left is a panoramic view of Islington, St. Pauls and the City of London although it is enlivened by a group of haymakers. The foreground of the West View includes a small herd of cattle with Highbury Fields and the terrace of houses making up Highbury Place.
Guildhall: p5378602 [&] p5378619.
[Ref: 20044] £1,400.00