The Britannia Tubular BridgeLength of Tubes 1380 Feet. _ Weight of Iron Work, 10,000 Tons.
Published by T. Catherall, Eastgate Row, Chester.
Lithograph, printed area 220 x 290mm.
The Britannia Tubular Bridge, designed by Robert Stephenson (1803 - 1859) and completed in 1850, was the Chester and Holyhead Railway's crossing of the Menai Straits to Anglesey and Holyhead, the main transit port for Ireland. The problem of the weight of multiple-carriage trains was solved by constructing rectangular iron tubes through which the trains would run. The limestone lions on either end of the bridge were carved by John Thomas.
[Ref: 19885] £140.00