[The Ionic Temple on the Ilissus, Athens.]
[John Haberkorn. 1762.]
Engraving. Plate 330 x 489mm. 13 x 19¼". Some tearing and staining around the edges of the margins.
A view of the Ionic Temple on the Ilissus, Athens. This distinctive temple on the bank of Anthens' Illisus River survived into the mid-18th century, and it was later taking apart for its materials c.1778. The temple's Ionic order, with its simple elegance, became a favourite for Greek Revival buildings throughout America. Published in "The Antiquities of Athens" by James Stuart and Nicholas Revett after their journey to Greece, and was used to help shape the European understanding of ancient Greece. It brought an entirely new design vocabulary to 18th-century Euroepan architecture and design, and later became an essential sourcebook for the 19th-century Greek Revival.
[Ref: 19243] £220.00