Hand coloured engraving, image 105 x 170mm. 4 x 6¾".
A landau is a type of four wheeled, convertible carriage. It is lightweight and suspended on elliptical springs. It was invented in the 18th century and was named after the German city of Landau in the Rhenish Palatinate where they were first produced. Numbered 'Plate 9' upper right, for Rudolph Ackermann's 'Repository of Arts' periodical, published from 1809-1829. The formal title of the publication was "Repository of Arts, Literature, Commerce, Manufactures, Fashions, and Politics", and it discussed and illustrated day to day life, and influenced English taste in fashion, architecture and literature. Ackermann's ingenuity and enterprise were not directed to fine art matters alone. His father had been a coach-builder and harness-maker in Germany and his early years in London were engaged in making designs for many of the principal coach-builders. The preparation of Lord Nelson's funeral car (1805) was entrusted to his skill. Between 1818 and 1820 he was occupied with a patent for movable carriage axles.
[Ref: 19054] £50.00