Copper Engraving. Plate 209 x 311mm. 8¼ x 12¼". Vertical fold through centre.
From Prévost d'Exile's "Histoire des Voyages". Fort William, Anomabu, Ghana, Africa. Originally constructed as a rudimentary building, by the Dutch, it changed hands four times from the Dutch to the Swedes, then to the Danes, back to the Dutch and finally to the British in 1674. Here, they built a small fort and called it Fort Charles, after the reigning monarch King Charles II. In 1753 the British began construction on Fort William, and later became known as Anomabu Fort, which then became the centre of British slave trading along the Gold Coast until the slave trade was outlawed in 1807.
[Ref: 18869] £120.00