Uncommon etching on india laid paper, proof before all letters. Image 285 x 460mm, 11¼ x 18". Trimmed to plate on two sides.
View from the south bank of the River Thames of a portion of London Bridge, looking at the west side; showing construction in progress of the new bridge, as it appeared in June 1826. St Magnus the Martyr and the Monument can be seen on the north bank beyond. In 1800 it was decided to replace the old bridge, and a competition was held producing many varied designs. In 1824, John Rennie's plans were accepted. The bridge was built 180 feet west of the old Bridge and for a time Londoners could see both the old bridge and the new side-by-side. On June 15, 1825, the Lord Mayor of London, John Garratt, laid the first stone, in the presence of the Duke of York. This London Bridge was built of granite which was quarried on Dartmoor. It was a structure of 5 arches, overall dimensions were 928 feet long and 49 feet wide. When the new bridge was finished and opened by King William and Queen Adelaide in 1831, traffic switched to the huge new structure and the demolition commenced on the old bridge. Drawn and etched by William Knight (1807 - 1845; fl.), architectural draughtsman, who exhibited at RA. and created a number of drawings and prints on the construction of Rennie's new bridge.
See Guildhall Library Record 4431 for a lettered state.
[Ref: 18769] £320.00