Effingham Works, Rotherham. Ornamental Iron and Brass Foundry. Stove Grate and Fender Manufactory.
Scarce Engraving. 107 x 190mm. 4¼ x 7½". Cut.
Yates, Haywood and Co. were iron founders, at Effingham Works, Rotherham. The Company originated in 1823 when James Yates of Carr House and Oakwood House, took over what was left of the Walkers' Foundry business and went into partnership with Charles Samuel Roberts Sandford of Northfield House, at the Phoenix Works. In 1833 the Rotherham Foundry was taken over and in 1832 William Owen was taken into partnership. The partnership was dissolved in 1838, Sandford and Owen taking the Phoenix Works while Yates took the Rotherham Foundry which specialised in stove grate work. He also acquired the premises of the Masbrough Flax Works upon the site of which the Effingham Works was later erected. Yates remained on his own until 1846 when George Haywood, of South Villa, and John Drabble, of Clifton Bank, were taken into partnership and the Company took the name Yates, Haywood and Co. When Drabble asked to retire in 1869 a new partnership was formed between James Yates, George Haywood, Robert Bentley Shaw (Yates's son-in-law) and George Harris Haywood. The Company was put up for sale in 1911. The works and working patterns were acquired by O'Brien, Thomas and Co. of London, who continued to operate under the old name.
[Ref: 18370] £130.00