Pair et Grand-Maitre de France...
[British, n.d., c.1795.]
Stipple and etching, title in italics and open letters, sheet 440 x 320mm. 17¼ x 12½". Trimmed to plate.
Portrait of Louis Joseph de Bourbon (1736 – 1818), Prince of Condé from 1740 to his death, in uniform on the battlefield, his hat having been removed to left; fighting in the background. A member of the House of Bourbon, he held the prestigious rank of Prince du Sang. Prince Louis Joseph was the only son of Louis Henri de Bourbon, Duke of Bourbon (1692–1740) and Landgravine Caroline of Hesse-Rotenburg (1714–41). He was Governor of Burgundy and a general in the French army. He (wisely) decided to escape from France with his son and grandson following the fall of the Bastille in 1789 in fear of possible arrest or death. The prince established himself at Coblenz in 1791, where he helped to organize and lead a large counter-revolutionary army of émigrés. In addition to containing his grandson, the Duc d'Enghien, and the two sons of his cousin, the dead king's brother, the Comte d'Artois, the corps included many young aristocrats who eventually became leaders during the Bourbon Restoration years later. The Army of Condé initially fought in conjunction with the Austrians. Later, it entered into English pay in 1795. In 1796, the army fought in Swabia. In 1797, Austria signed the Treaty of Campo Formio with the First French Republic, formally ending its hostilities against the French. With the loss of its closest allies, the army transferred into the service of the Russian tsar, Paul I and was stationed in Poland, returning in 1799 to the Rhine under Alexander Suvorov. In 1800 when Russia left the Allied coalition, the army re-entered English service and fought in Bavaria. The army was disbanded in 1801. After the dissolution of the corps, the prince spent his exile in England, where he lived with his second wife, Maria-Caterina di Brignole-Sale, the divorced wife of the Prince de Monaco, whom he had married in 1798. Arms of the house of Bourbon to title area.
From the Norman Blackburn Collection.
[Ref: 18242] £300.00