Plan of the London Botanic Garden.
Engraved plan with key issued with the Gentleman's Magazine, paper watermarked '1810', sheet 185 x 355mm. 7¼ x 14". Vertical fold creases as normal; slight staining.
The London Botanic Garden, which laid out at the end of the 18th century in the space now occupied by Cadogan Place South Garden on Sloane Street (the Sloane Street entrance to the garden is shown on this plan). "By 1772 Curtis's reputation as a botanist was such that he was made the praefectus horti (or director)of the Society of Apothecaries at the Chelsea Physic Garden. The following year he established a botanical garden for the cultivation and study of native British plants at Bermondsey. This garden was to move twice. The first move was to a larger plot at Lambeth Marsh, situated in the area between present day Westminster Bridge and Waterloo railway station. Curtis named this new garden the London Botanic Garden and opened it to the public on 1 January 1779. However, by 1789, because of smoke pollution, he had to move his plants to a new, even larger garden, in Queen's Elm Brompton, Brompton." William Curtis lived in Pond Place.
[Ref: 18206] £120.00