[Collection of pen and ink sketches, engravings and photographs by and from a collection of Richard Taylor.][The sketches entitled:] View of New Zealand. [&] Such is life. [&] New Zealand Hut and Fence of Garden. [&] A Schech's Tomb in Arabia. [&] A Massowah Pilot. [Engravings:] Putikiwaraniu Pah, Wanganui. [&] Wanganui, the Scene of the Late Conflict. [Photosgraphs:] Our house viewed NW as opposed to that of the Dall Bungalow. [&] Wanganui from one of stockade for my dear neice anne.
1830. [dated in ink.]
Pen and ink sketches, engravings and photographs.
A collection of images for [in ink on verso] Anne Taylor, Presented by her Brother Richard Taylor Feb. 1829. Anne Taylor (1806-1877), also had a daughter Anne Taylor Fox. The Reverend Richard Taylor (1805-1873) after graduating from Queen's College Cambridge took some time to travel abroad and in 1828 he returned and was ordained deacon and received the curacy of St Botolph's and in 1830 he was admitted to the priesthood and became vicar of Coveney and Manea in the island of Ely. Having been accepted by the Church Missionary Society, he sailed for New Zealand in 1836 and was immediately placed as a temporary vicar of the parish of Liverpool in Australia, following the death of the incumbent; his replacement was somewhat delayed and Taylor held the post until 1839. He then set off with William Williams (later, first Bishop of Waiapu) and they landed at Paihia in search of a site for a new mission, which led them to Waimate and Otaki. He stayed in Waimate until 1843, when he was appointed to succeed Rev. John Mason at Wanganui. The mission station was at Putiki-wharanui, across the river from Wanganui, and Taylor threw himself into the task of organising the affairs of his charge. He worked to a rota system and paid regular visits to all the villages in the district, often travelling far afield. In 1843 he walked to Rotorua where he met Selwyn, whom he escorted overland to Wanganui. A few months later he visited all the pas between Wanganui and New Plymouth and returned home via the headwaters of the Waitara. He built a mission school and a small hospital at Putiki and these greatly impressed Governor Grey when he visited Wanganui in March 1846. On this occasion Taylor was able to use his good offices to arrange a meeting between the Governor and the Wanganui chiefs, when the controversial Wanganui land sale was arranged. When the surveys began a month later the Maoris objected to the reserves allocated to them; and Taylor, much to the European settlers' annoyance, upheld the Maoris' view that they had no right to divide lands that the Maoris had not been paid for. He was, however, able to arrange for the settlers to occupy their lands pending settlement of the dispute. Besides his mission work Taylor also attended to the spiritual needs of the Europeans in the district. In this connection he founded a small boys' school in the town, and this afterwards became the nucleus of Wanganui Collegiate School. Telford, another clergyman, took over the European side of Taylor's duties in 1850, which left the latter free to concentrate on the Maori mission. In 1855 he visited England, taking with him Hoani Wiremu Hipango, a leading Wanganui chief and one of Taylor's earliest converts. He returned to Putiki in the following year where, in 1860, he was joined by his son, the Rev. B. K. Taylor. Thereafter he was able to devote more of his time to his scientific interests. During the Hauhau wars Taylor served as Chaplain with General Chute's forces. He retired from the mission in 1866, visited England in 1867, and returned to Wanganui in 1870. He remained there until his death on 10 October 1873. He was a fellow of the Geological Society, and contributed papers to the New Zealand Institute. His first pamphlet, A Leaf from the Natural History of New Zealand (1848), contains much of interest to the student of today. The ethnological portions of this were later expanded into his Maori and English Dictionary (1870). In 1855 he published Te Ika-a-Maui, which is a mine of information on Maori culture and folklore, and in it Taylor dissents from many of the absurd popular opinions of his day about the Maoris. The Age of New Zealand (1866), a small geological pamphlet, and Past and Present of New Zealand (1868) complete his more important published works. In addition to these, however, he left several unpublished manuscripts. From 1825 until almost the day of his death Taylor kept a Journal. This record of his “daily life” is illustrated with pen sketches of persons, places, and other features that caught his eye. As well as notes on his routine work as a missionary, Taylor includes descriptions of Maori life and customs, flora, fauna, natural formations, and comments on political affairs. Taylor was one of the most able men to serve the C.M.S. in New Zealand; he quickly won the Maoris' trust and exerted a tremendous influence among them. As he was one of the very few Europeans who believed the Maoris to be capable of assimilating western civilisation, Taylor stood high in the estimation of Grey and Gore Browne, who often consulted him on their native policy. During his lifetime Taylor corresponded with many of the scientific leaders of the day and collected New Zealand specimens for them. He was one of the first to realise the significance of New Zealand's moa remains; and he also built up a fine collection of recent Maori artefacts. Taylor's name is perpetuated in Taylorville, a suburb of Wanganui.
[Ref: 18116] £850.00