Plan of the Gardens and Plantations of Lowther Hall in Westmoreland the Seat of the Right Honourable the Lord Viscount Landsdale.Les Jardins &c.de Lowther Hall dans Westmoreland Maison de Viscomte Lansdale. p: 76. Vol: 3.d [Key lettered A to M, top left-hand corner.]
Engraving. Plate 381 x 247mm. 15 x 9¾".
Garden plan from Henry Hulsbergh's "Vitruvius Brittanicus" series. Lowther Castle in the county of Westmoreland, has belonged to the Earls of Lonsdale since the Middle Ages. Circa 1690 the first Lowther Hall was demolished by John, 1st Viscount Lonsdale. The demolition took place to make room for a new house that was built 1692-95. Viscount Lonsdale consulted the best architects of the day (Robert Hooke, William Talman), but used none of them. Talman's design for the elevation may have been used, however, and Machell, a neighbor and antiquary, may have helped with Talman's designs. This second house was 15 bays with projecting wings and enclosed an inner court. The interior had a series of painted ceilings by Verrio depicting Olympian scenes. In 1718, when the new house was just completed, it was badly damaged by fire. Lord Lonsdale consulted James Gibbs and Colen Campbell about rebuilding.
[Ref: 18010] £160.00