View of the Ruins of the Kitchen at Stanton-Harcourt in the County of Oxford.
Etching, very scarce, early issue before Society of Antiquaries. 400 x 520mm. 15¾ x 20½". Very fine.
An early unfortified Manor House, built to house the Harcourt family in the late 14th century; however most of the house was dismantled to use as foundations for Nuneham Courtney in 1756. One of the surviving parts is the medieval kitchen with its octagonal roof seen here on the left. The kitchen is open to the rafters, and smoke from the open fire would gather in the conical roof space, ventilated by louvers in the base of the roof. The artist on these engraved views is as family member. George Simon, Viscount Nuneham, later second earl Harcourt (1736 - 1809), was taught by Paul Sandby (1725 - 1809), and was a member of the Society of Dilettanti. The manor has remained in the Harcourt family to the present day.
[Ref: 17829] £480.00