Stanton Harcourt - Oxon.
[London: Printed by J. Whiting, Finsbury Place, For J. Manson, Gerrard Street, Soho; and sold by Messrs. White, Fleet Street; T. Payne, Mews Gate; Greenland and Norris, Finsbury Square; H.D. Symonds, Paternoster Row; by the principal Booksellers in Berkshire and the adjoining Counties 1805.]
Aquatint. 216 x 280mm. 8½ x 11". Cut.
Stanton Harcourt, a village and civil parish in Oxfordshire. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book, and is probably named after the prehistoric stone circle known as the Devil's Quoits. An early unfortified Manor House, built to house the Harcourt family in the late 14th century; however most of the house was dismantled to use as foundations for Nuneham Courtney in 1756. One of the surviving parts is the medieval kitchen with its octagonal roof seen here on the left. The kitchen is open to the rafters, and smoke from the open fire would gather in the conical roof space, ventilated by louvers in the base of the roof.
Abbey: 292: 44.
[Ref: 17823] £90.00