Royal Horse Guards_Blue.R. Ackermann's Chobham Scenes. Plate 11.
London, Published Jany. 1-1854, by Rudolph Ackermann, at his Eclipse Sporting & Military Gallery, 191, Regent St.
Hand coloured aquatint, 165 x 240mm. 6½ x 9½".
The Royal Horse Guards (RHG) was a cavalry regiment of the British Army, part of the Household Cavalry. Founded August 1650 in Newcastle Upon Tyne by Sir Arthur Haselrig on the orders of Oliver Cromwell as the Regiment of Cuirassiers, the regiment became the Earl of Oxford's Regiment during the reign of King Charles II. As the regiment's uniform was blue in colour at the time, it was nicknamed "the Oxford Blues", from which was derived the nickname the "Blues." In 1750 the regiment became the Royal Horse Guards Blue and eventually, in 1877, the Royal Horse Guards (The Blues). The RHG was amalgamated with the Royal Dragoons (1st Dragoons) to form the Blues and Royals (Royal Horse Guards and 1st Dragoons) in 1969.
[Ref: 17790] £160.00