View of the Old and New London Bridgesprevious to the Demolition of the old Structure in 1832.
[London: F. G. Harding, 1832.]
Hand coloured aquatint, sheet 320 x 410mm. 12½ x 16". Trimmed within plate laid down on board, faded.
View of new London Bridge on left and old London Bridge on right, before its demolition; including figures and building materials on south bank of the River Thames. In 1800 it was decided to replace the old bridge, and a competition was held producing many varied designs. In 1824, John Rennie's plans were accepted. The bridge was built 180 feet west of the old Bridge and for a time Londoners could see both the old bridge and the new side-by-side. On June 15, 1825, the Lord Mayor of London, John Garratt, laid the first stone, in the presence of the Duke of York. This London Bridge was built of granite which was quarried on Dartmoor. It was a structure of 5 arches, overall dimensions were 928 feet long and 49 feet wide. When the new bridge was finished and opened by King William and Queen Adelaide in 1831, traffic switched to the huge new structure and the demolition commenced on the old bridge. After William Knight (1807 - 1845; fl.), architectural draughtsman, who exhibited at RA. and created a number of drawings and prints on the construction of Rennie's new bridge. See ref:3621 for a mint impression with large margins.
Guildhall Library Record: 4841.
[Ref: 17770] £420.00