H.M.S. Pearl, commanded by Lord Clarence Paget
Published by W.J. Huggins, Marine Painter to his Late Majesty Willm. 4th. [n.d., c.1830.]
Hand coloured aquatint, image 260 x 385mm. 10¼ x 15¼". Paper rather browned, so colour appears slightly faded; unexamined out of maple frame.
HMS Pearl was a sloop listed as being of 20 guns, wearing the ensign of the Red. She was built in 1828 and broken up in 1851, and was commanded by Lord Clarence Edward Paget (1811 - 1895). On 18th April 1838, when on patrol as an anti-slaver, she took the slaver Diligente as part of Britain's part of her treaty with Spain for the suppression of the slave trade. Paget joined the navy in 1827. He served as a midshipman on board the Asia at Navarino. He was captain of the Princess Royal, of 91 guns, in the expedition to the Baltic in 1854, and during the blockade and bombardment of Sebastopol in 1855; he also took part in the expedition to Kertch and Yenikalé (medals, Sebastopol clasp, and fourth class of the Medjidie). He attained flag rank in 1858, and was made a rear-admiral of the red in 1863, vice-admiral in 1865, admiral in April 1870, and was placed on the retired list in 1876.
Parker: 1823. NMM: PAF8045.
[Ref: 17645] £720.00