H.M.S. Thetis, 36 Guns.Constructed by the School of Naval Architecture.
London Published by Lloyd Brothers 22 Ludgate Hill_Plymouth E. & H.L. Fry Stonehouse E.W. Cole. [n.d., c.1850.]
Hand coloured lithograph, image 300 x 400mm. 11¾ x 15¾". Fine fresh colour; unexamined out of fine maple frame.
Handsome and rare lithograph of HMS Thetis, a fifth-rate frigate launched at Devonport Dockyard on 21 August 1846. She sailed to the south-east coast of America and then the Pacific. One of the two largest of the Gulf Islands in the Strait of Georgia, off the east coast of Vancouver Island, Canada, is named Thetis Island. There is also a Thetis Lake on Vancouver Island. After nearly a decade of service with the British, she was one of two frigates transferred to Prussia in exchange for two gunboats. She served with the Prussian Navy, the Norddeutsche Bundesmarine and the Kaiserliche Marine as the SMS Thetis until being decommissioned in 1874 and broken up in 1894. After Nicholas Matthew Condy (1818 - 1851).
Not in NMM. Parker: undescribed.
[Ref: 17644] £690.00