Clipper Ship "Ambassador", A.1. 16 Years.700 Tons Register. Thomas J. Duggan, Commander. Wm. Lund Esq. & others (Owners) Wm. Walker Esq. (Builder)
London. Published May 27th 1869 by Wm. Foster, 17, Billiter Street, EC.
Very fine tinted lithograph, 430 x 620mm. 17 x 24¼".
The Ambassador tea clipper sailed between the chinese port of Fuchow and London, once doing so in 108 days (1872). The beached skeleton of the ship is in Estancia San Gregorio, Chile, where it was declared a national monument in 1973. It is one of the few surviving tea clippers. The clipped weighed about 692 tons and was made of steel and teak wood, making it very fast and sleek vessel.
Parker 1950; see ref. 17622 for proof before letters
[Ref: 17384] £1,500.00