No.4. Wesleyan Theological Institution, Didsbury.
London, T.M. Inchbold, 161 Fleet St. [n.d., c.1850.]
Steel engraving, sheet 115 x 155mm. 4½ x 6". Sheet trimmed close to engraved area
A Methodist training college on Wilmslow Road in Didsbury, Manchester. It later became Didsbury College of Education before being incorporated into the Metropolitan University of Manchester where it is now their Institute of Education, responsible for teacher training. The original building dates from 1842 and is distinctive for its long stone frontage in a pseudo-Grecian style, eleven bays long and two storeys high, giant pilasters and end pavilions. The central three-storey block was originally the Governor's residence.
[Ref: 17227] £60.00