The City Light Horse Volunteers reviewed by Lord Harrington on Wimbledon Common.
Coloured engraving. 450 x 370mm, 17¾ x 14½". Splits in folds repaired.
A broadsheet writing sheet, filled in with a prayer by John Ellyall in 1811. Under the main image are vignettes demostrating six sabre strokes and a bombardier firing a mortar at a castle. The Light Horse Volunteers, first formed by well-to-do London merchants in 1779 and disbanded in 1783, were re-established in May 1794 as the Light Horse Volunteers of the Cities of London and Westminster. Their chief role was to suppress civil disobedience. However, as rich men with expensive gear, their reputation as soldiers was not good: the Cato Street Conspiritors planned to raid their stables as part of their plot in 1820.
[Ref: 16728] £220.00