A View of the Menagerie, and its Pavillion, at Kew.
Etching, 305 x 460mm. 12 x 18". Fine impression, small hole in sky, with full margins.
Am ornamental pond surrounded by a fence with a chinoiserie pavilion on an island at centre, elegant figures on the walkway, a neo-classical building ('the temple of Bellona') in the background to left surrounded by trees. Kew Gardens originated in the exotic garden at Kew Park formed by Lord Capel John of Tewkesbury. It was enlarged and extended by Augusta, Dowager Princess of Wales, the widow of Frederick, Prince of Wales, for whom Sir William Chambers built several garden structures. One of these, the lofty Chinese pagoda built in 1761 still remains. From Chambers's 'Plans, elevations, sections and perspective views of the gardens and buildings at Kew...' After Thomas Sandby (1721 - 1798).
British Library: 004870442.
[Ref: 16628] £320.00