The Central Cottage Improvement Society.Cottage Architectural Museum, 37, Arundel Street, Strand, W.C. The Museum is open every Week-Day from 12 till 4 (Free). "As the Home, So the People." [Two extracts, one from the Illustrated London News, January 4th, 1862, the other from the Illustrated News of the World, January 23rd, 1862.]
Letterpress broadside advertisement with woodcut vignette of a pair of semi-detached cottages, caption 'estimated cost, £175 per pair'. Sheet 330 x 200mm, 13 x 8".
The Central Cottage Improvement Society aimed to build new homes and provide improvements to the existing housing of 'suburban artisans' and 'labourers in the agricultural districts'.
Provenance: from a scrap album compiled c.1840 - 1880 by Alfred Towgood of Riverside, a paper mill owner at St. Neots, Huntingdon. He was also a Lieutenant in the Duke of Manchester's Light Horse.
[Ref: 16537] £70.00