A View of the Gatehouse belonging to Thornton Abby near Barton upon Humber in Lincoln ShireFounded by William Crassus Earl of Albermarle in 1139. Drawn in 1727.
Rare copper engraving, 310 x 415mm. 12¼ x 16¼". A fine impression with very large margins.
Thornton Abbey was founded as a priory in 1139 close to the small North Lincolnshire village of Thornton Curtis by William le Gros, the Earl of Yorkshire, and raised to the status of Abbey in 1148. It was a house for Augustinian or black canons. The Abbey's enormous and ornate fortified gatehouse is the largest and amongst the finest in England.
[Ref: 16364] £160.00