Interior View of the Late Pantheon Theatreas it appeared in its delapidated state.
Lithograph, rare, printed area 250 x 280mm. 10 x 11". Small tears, some staining in top half.
Interior of the Pantheon theatre on Oxford Street. Intitally designed by James Wyatt as a 'winter Ranelagh' the Pantheon opened in 1772 to hold fetes, concerts and masquerades, but after the popularity of these events waned, exhibitions such as that of Lunardi's balloon (1784-5) were held in the venue before the building was converted into a theatre (1791). The theatre burnt down in 1792 and was rebuilt that same year, and after several other occupants was closed by the Lord Chamberlain in 1813 after Nicholas Wilcox Cundy had defied him by opening his English Opera House there. After being stripped of its fittings in 1814, the theatre was left empty until it was converted into a bazaar in 1833-4. The use of the past tense in the title of this print suggests it was published after that transition had been made.
Ben Weinreb and Christopher Hibber (eds.), 'The London Encyclopaedia'. For earlier views of the Pantheon, see stock no. 12142 and 8121.
[Ref: 14670] £160.00