[Canongate Tolbooth.] 68.[Canongate Tolbooth, which stands amongst a number of other fine old buildings, built in 1591, when this was a separate burgh with it own magistrate. It is a good example of the French style of architecture, with its tower and corbelled turrets, forestair, and high dormer heads. Over the archway of the door are the words "Pro patria et posteris, 1591." The building contained a jail on the ground floor, and the Countil Chambers, or Court Room, on the first floor, where the Bailies of the Canongate gave their decisions, and where the councillors of the burgh met. The building ceased to have a separate municipal existence in 1856. The projecting clock was added in the last century.]
[n.d. c.1920.] Copyright. F. & M. Ltd., Bedford, Eng.
Etching. 284 x 255mm. 11¼ x 10".
[Ref: 14640] £35.00