[Linlithgow Castle.] 66.[Linlithgow Palace is a fine example of a fortified palace, with a most attractive inner quadrangle, which dates from the 14th century. It was destroyed by fire in 1746, and since then has remained roofless. The Palace was for many years a favourite seat of Scottish royalty. Prince Charles was entertained here in 1745, and James IV., James V. and Mary of Guise held court, and Parliamentes and Councils sat here. The quadrangle contains a richly sculptured fountain built by James V. On one side of the building is the Great Hall, with its finely carved fireplace and a minstrel's gallery. In the Royal Apartments, were born James V. (1512) and Mary, Queen of Scots (1542). Although largely in ruins to-day, the Castle, situated as it is almost surrounded by the Loch, is an imposing and impressive building.]
[n.d. c.1920.] Copyright. F. & M. Ltd., Bedford, Eng.
Etching. 259 x 285mm. 10¼ x 11¼".
[Ref: 14638] £40.00