[Scott's Memorial. Princes Street, Edinburgh.] 64.[The monument to Sir Walter Scott is a graceful Gothic cross or tower, about 200 feet high. It forms a canopy beneath which is a figure of Scott seated with his favourite dog, and was carved in grey Carrara marble by Sir John Steell. The monument was erected between 1840 and 1844 from the design of George Kemp, a young architect who while travelling through Europe in order to study Gothic architecture, supported himself by working as an ordinary mason. In the niches are characters from some of Scott's work - Prince Charles Stewart, the Lady of the Lake, Meg Merrilies, and the Last Minstrel being the most notable, while the capitals of the pilasters supporting the vaulted roof are ornamented by likenesses of celebrated Scottish writers, including Burns, Hogg, Allan Ramsay, Smollett, Byron, James Thomson, James 1st and Drummond of Hawthornden. In the background may be seen the Castle.]
[n.d. c.1920.] Copyright. F. & M. Ltd., Bedford, Eng.
Etching. 280 x 255mm. 11 x 10".
[Ref: 14636] £35.00