[Cambridge. King's College, The Chapel.] 62.[The original designer is believed to have been Richard Close, Fellow of the College, and Bishop of Lichfield. The first stone of the Chapel was laid in 1446 by Henry VI., but the stonework was not complete until 1515, and the high altar was set up in 1545, ninety-nine years after the laying of the foundation stone. No building of the same date in England is better known that this Chapel, which is in many respects the most beautiful and most complete in this country. It is the standard specimen of that period of English pointed architecture to which the name of 'perpendicular' has been applied. The design is most striking and combines richness with simplicity of decoration, which justifies its being regarded as the pride and glory of Cambridge architecture. The workmanship throughout is of the most careful finish and of the boldest execution. The beautiful Italian scene was set up when Anne Boleyn was queen, and has her initials together with those of Henry VIII. It was the College of the poet, Rupert Brooke.]
[n.d. c.1920.] Copyright. F. & M. Ltd., Bedford, Eng.
Etching. 259 x 284mm. 10¼ x 11¼".
[Ref: 14634] £70.00