[Cambridge. Trinity College, The Fountain.] 56.[Trinity College was founded in 1546 by Henry VIII. The great court is best known in the whole of Cambridge because of its size and because of the character added to it by the Fountain. The Fountain was built in 1602 by Thomas Neville, the then Master, and rebuilt with few changes in 1716. Its ornament agrees with that on the porch of the contemporary age. Until fairly recently it served the practical purpose of providing all the College staircases with water, the water coming by conduit from a spring more than a mile away. Research shows that as far back as 1345, the Franciscans purchased pieces of land 2ft. broad for this conduit, which was annexed in part by King's Hall in 1439, but eventually confirmed to Trinity by Henry VIII. The Fountain takes the eye instantly because of its interest as a late Elizabethan conceit, but also because of its skilful design and rightness of scale. This prevents one noticing how small and relatively unimpressive are the surrounding buildings compared with the vast area they enclose.]
[n.d. c.1920.] Copyright. F. & M. Ltd., Bedford, Eng.
Etching. 259 x 281mm. 10¼ x 11".
[Ref: 14628] £70.00