[Cambridge. St. John's College, Gateway.] 55.[The building of this College was commenced in 1516 by John Fisher, Bishop of Rochester and Cardinal of the Holy Roman Church. Fisher is one of the most renowned of all Cambridge men, being noted fro his charity to all men and particularly to the sick and destitute. His firm refusal to recognise Henry's divorce led to his arrest and execution in 1535. Thw tower which today forms the main entrance to the College is a delightful example of what may be achieved by the skillful use of red brick. The groining is of stone, as are also the elaborate decorations. In the centre a richly canopied niche contains the statue of St. John the Evangelist, holding his usual emblems, the chalice and serpent, and at his feet is the evangelist's symbol, the eagle. This statue was set up in 1662, and immediately above the gate is to be seen Lady Margaret's shield, the three lions of England and the three lilies of France, surmounted by two yales, beasts that in the zoology of heralds form the sub-species of the antelope.]
[n.d. c.1920.] Copyright. F. & M. Ltd., Bedford, Eng.
Etching. 280 x 255mm. 11 x 10".
[Ref: 14627] £60.00