[The Strand Gate, Winchelsea.] 44.[Winchelsea was once a Cinque Port of first magnitude, but owing to the action of the sea it is now some distance inland and "where fisherman once dropped their nets shepherds now watch their sheep." For many years the town was frequented by smugglers, and William Thackeray in "Dene Duvel" dramatically recalls those thrilling bygone days. It was here that John Wesley preached his last open air sermon under what is now known as Wesley's Tree at the west side of the churchyard. The Strand Gate was one of three gates ereceted under royal patronage when the "New" Winchelsea was replanned in 1287. The monasteries and other religious houses were quickly reproduced and a prosperous town was soon established. It was at Old Winchelsea some three miles away that William the Conqueror landed. The stone bearing the Arms of the Cinque Ports, which was taken from the Gate at the time of its destruction, may be seen fixed to one of the remaining walls.]
[n.d. c.1920.] Copyright. F. & M. Ltd., Bedford, Eng.
Etching. 259 x 281mm. 10¼ x 11¼".
[Ref: 14625] £30.00