[Old West Gateway, Canterbury.] 37.[The Old West Gateway to Canterbury was built in 1830. Of massive construction, with double towers, it was erected on the site of earlier structures of the kind by Archbishop Simon of Sudbury. From 1543 to 1849, it was in use as the city gaol, and records show a prisoner to have been confined within it as recently as 1847. The Gateway narrowly escaped destruction in 1850, when a travelling menagerie demanded its removal to allow easier passage-way, a proposal that was only defeated in Council by one vote. It has luckily been preserved and carefully restored, and to-day the upper part holds a small collection of antiquities. Just inside the Gate to the right is the Church of the Holy Cross, rebuilt at the same time. The Gateway is situated at the river crossing where the bulk of the traffice to and from from the Continent converged at Canterbury, and its position thus made it the most important entrance to the City. Here, according to tradition, William the Conqueror in 1067, on his way from London, confirmed to the Men of Kent their ancient laws and privileges as the condition of his being allowed to pass in peace on his way to Dover. The Gateway is to-day the only one of the original six gates still standing.]
[n.d. c.1920.] Copyright. F. & M. Ltd., Bedford, Eng.
Etching. 258 x 285mm. 10¼ x 11¼".
[Ref: 14618] £35.00