[Memorial Theatre, Stratford-on-Avon.] 25.[The original Shakespeare memorial, consisting of a theatre, picture gallery and library, built in 1877, was largely destroyed by fire in 1926. At the request of the governors, the Royal Institute of British Architects instituted a competition to open to architects in the British Isles, Canada and the United States of America. The plan chosen was that of Miss Elizabeth Scott, and the new building was opened in April, 1932. It is a brick building of bolds, rather severe, outlings, standing in an unrivalled position on the bank of the Avon. The shell of the old theatre was converted into a fine Conference Hall seating between four and five hundred persons. The theatre is elaborately equipped to ensure the same continuity of scenes as the plays had in Shakespeare's day. Every year the theatre presents a festival of plays both by Shakespeare and other playwrights.]
[n.d. c.1920.] Copyright. F. & M. Ltd., Bedford, Eng.
Etching. 257 x 280mm. 10 x 11".
[Ref: 14613] £60.00