[Warwick Castle.] 24.[The Castle as it now stands is chiefly a fournteenth century building. The strategic position of Warwick was realised long before the present building was erected, and earthworks may be seen of the fort completed by Ethelgleda, a daughter of Alfred the Great. The Castle has been rebuilt on more than one occasion, and the building as it stands to-day is largely as it was left by Sir Fulke Greville, a direct ancester of the Earl of Warwick. On the right is Beauchamp's Tower, or Guy's Tower, 120 ft. high, which as built by Thomas de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick. On the left is Caesar's Tower, built a few years earlier. The buildings include the great hall, state rooms and domestic buildings. The hall and the passages around contain fine collections of arms and armous, and in the state rooms are many pictures and works of art, some of considerable value. Sir Walter Scott, viewing the Castle in 1828, called it "the noblest sight in England. The finest monument of ancient and chivalrous splendour that yet remains to us uninjured by time."]
[n.d. c.1920.] Copyright. F. & M. Ltd., Bedford, Eng.
Etching. 258 x 286mm. 10¼ x 11¼".
[Ref: 14612] £40.00