St. John's Gate. Clerkenwell. [in plate.]
Sepia etching on india laid paper, 190 x 260mm. 7½ x 10¼".
St John's Gate is one of the few tangible remains from Clerkenwell's monastic past, built in 1504 by Prior Thomas Docwra as the south entrance to the inner precinct of the Priory of the Knights of Saint John - the Knights Hospitallers. Offered with original text sheet. Sir Ernest George RA (1839 - 1922), architect, watercolourist and occasional etcher of London and foreign settings. Born in London, he was pupil at the RA School, elected RA in 1917.
[Ref: 14019] £120.00