Front Elevation of the New Fleet Market, from Stone Cutters' Street. Respectfully inscribed to the Right Hon. John Crowder, Lord Mayor, and the Gentlemen forming the Committee for conducting its Erection.Architect-Mr. William Mountague. Builder-Mr. Samuel Grimsdale.Commenced May 26, 1828-Opend November 20, 1829. Dimensions. Length of the Building . 280 feet. Breadth... 246. Height ... 41. Width of each Wing ... 48 feet. Length of the Opening ... 232. Width of ditto .... 150. There are 79 Shops, exclusive of Standings.
Engraving. 174 x 209mm. 6¾ x 8¼". Laid on separate sheet.
The Fleet Market was a market erected in 1736 on the newly converted River Fleet. Work began in 1734 to arch over the River Fleet, as it had become an open sewer; and to remove the considerable expense of clearing the river of rubbish and filth. The course of the river was covered between Holborn Bridge and Fleet Bridge. The market, consisting of two rows of open one–storey shops linked by a covered walkway, opened on 30 September 1737. The market replaced the Old Stocks Market that itself had been cleared for the construction of the Mansion House. By 1829, the market was rundown and considered an obstacle to the increasing volume of traffic; and was cleared for the construction of Farringdon Road. Farringdon Market [New Fleet Market] was constructed to replace it, but was never successful.
[Ref: 13008] £120.00