View of the alate temple of the Druids on Navestock Common.
Etching, 190 x 155mm. 7½ x 6".
In 1725 the antiquary William Stukeley came across a feature on Navestock Common, Navestock, Essex which he described as a system of mounds and earthworks. He gave the site the name "alate temple of the druids" as part of the earthworks, according to Stukeley, took the form of a wing (`ala' is Latin for wing). A coach, horses and figures in the foreground.
[Ref: 12981] £70.00