John Abernethy, Lecturer on Surgery at St. Bartholomews Hospital, &c.&c.&c.
[London: C. Turner, 1828.]
Mezzotint, image 360 x 280mm. 14¼ x 11". Trimmed within plate. Chipped extremities, with closed tears, one into plate lower right.
John Abernethy (1764 - 1831), surgeon and teacher. In the late 1780s he began to lecture on anatomy at his house in Bartholomew Close, and speedily attracted a large class, the numbers of which were swollen when Dr. Marshall, the most popular anatomical teacher in the city, ceased to lecture. Abernethy's success was one of the causes which induced the governors of St. Bartholomew's to build a lecture theatre, where in 1791 he began to lecture on anatomy, physiology, and surgery, and thus became the founder of the medical school attached to that ancient hospital. About this time he was himself a diligent attendant at the lectures of John Hunter, with whom he had also private conferences on scientific matters, and whose influence greatly determined the bent of his mind. In 1796 he was elected a fellow of the Royal Society. In 1814 he was appointed to lecture on anatomy and physiology at the College of Surgeons (there was no regular professorship), and held the office till 1817. His lectures were mainly devoted to explaining the Hunterian museum, then lodged in the college, and to expounding the views of John Hunter, of whose theory of life Abernethy constituted himself an ardent champion. After Charles William Pegler (1803 - 1832).
Whitman: 2, II. NPG: D7147.
[Ref: 12787] £140.00